Advance your passage planning skills with practical case studies. The online training throughout this course provides a perfect framework for preparing for your coastal adventures.
This course will give you the skills to confidently read and interpret charts, weather and tides in both the Northern and Southern Hemispheres. It provides a fantastic base of knowledge for taking your boat from Sydney along the east coast of Australia.
This online course is delivered by Above & Beyond Boating, who are an Australian RYA Training Centre.
Why you should do this course...
We often head onto the water and circumstances change which make the day more stressful, and less fun, for us and our crew. This course will help you identify and close some of the gaps in your knowledge base.
Learn to plan, improve your decision making, and be more proactive on the water, ensuring a more enjoyable day.
What's in the course?
- Understanding your safety and legal obligations as a skipper
- Knowing where to find Weather forecasts and interpreting them
- “Learning to see” through chartwork, and deciphering lights & buoyage
- Avoiding collisions with the aid of traditional and modern tools, from a hand bearing compass thought to AIS alerts and DSC calling
- Escape the beaten track, learn how to navigate into secluded anchorages and be confident you are using all tools at your disposal to remain safe while you are there
- Make tide your friend, understand your currents and tides and how to use them to your advantage during your adventures
- Real life and practical scenarios throughout to help your understanding of the relevance and use of these skills
- Practical passage planning frameworks to bring everything together
- A catalyst to take the next step in achieving your boating dreams.
The course is recognised by the Royal Yachting Association (RYA) and follows the Day Skipper Shore based Syllabus. This course was developed locally in Sydney was to be able to support the training and development of the East Coast Skippers who wanted real-life case studies. It includes examples for managing the East Australian Current, Wide Bay Bar, the prevailing NE winds to work up the NSW Coastline, avoiding unfavourable tides during their Whitsundays Cruising and much more. The framework of the RYA Course has been used with practical Australian based case studies, pictures and examples wherever possible to ensure you finish the course feeling confident to plan an East Coast adventure.